Contact lens usage resulting to dry eyes is a common disorder. It is caused by contact lens intolerance. Up to half of soft contact lens users may suffer from dry eyes. A person will not feel the discomfort of dry eyes until he wears contact lens. The lens may affect the tear film production that may bring discomfort. This is the reason why some people shun away from using lenses any further.
But what is the dry eye condition? Well, it is a disorder that is brought about by less tear production and less tear film evaporation. There are a lot of reasons for having dry eye. Normally the eyes bathe using tears. The tears make the eyes comfortable and moist. Some clinical studies show that solutions used to clean and maintain lens may cause dry eyes. In order to keep your eyes hydrated they need to have some lubrication. Lack of lubrication may lead to eye strain or other eye problems.
In order to avoid dry eyes, one should consult an eye health professional for advice. The advice may be in the form of correct personal eye care. The eye doctor may prescribe lubricants to prevent dry eyes. Let us explore possible remedies for dry eyes in connection with contact lens usage.
• Remember that the drops that may be recommended by your doctor will just give you temporary relief. Never think of it as a permanent solution. Take into consideration the reason why you have dry eyes and correct the problem.
• It is best to re-soak the lenses during the day. A lot of wearers report of comfort after they soaked their lenses. A few minutes of soaking will do. They feel much comfort once they re-inserted the lens back to the eyes.
• Use the lenses in accordance to your eye health professional’s instruction and the manufacturer’s advice. Most of dry eyes are caused by improper lens usage. The deposits that may build up on the eyes may cause dry eyes if lens cleaning and care are not properly observed. Consult your eye doctor if you need to switch to a disposable lens or change the lens cleaner.
• Blinking can help eliminate dry eyes. Constant blinking helps to wet the contact lenses. It is recommended to bring comfort while wearing contact lens. If you don’t blink often it may cause dryness in the eyes. This is prevalent when a person concentrates or stares at the computer monitor too long. It is important to deliberately blink once in a while to lubricate the lens. Don’t forget to close your eyes if it gets strained. Few moments of shut eye can help to lubricate the lenses.
• Keep your body hydrated by consuming lots of water or fruit juices. If your body does not have enough water to produce moisture then you will not have enough to keep your eyes from getting dry.
• Artificial tears are good if you don’t produce it naturally. Make sure you are using artificial tears and not ordinary eye drops. There is a difference between eye drops and artificial tears that may impact your eye health.
When you suffer from dry eyes as a result of lens wearing; consult your doctor. There are lenses that are best suited for dry eyes. Ask if you are able to wear them. It is important that when you use contact lens it should bring comfort to you.
It should be beneficial for eye health and not the other way around. The discomfort is actually the eyes subtle way of telling you that there is a mismatch. Finding a lasting solution to dry eye problems is the best way to get rid of it.